- 1 package (1/4-ounce) dry active yeast
- 3 cups milk, warm to 110 degrees F
- 1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature and beaten until stiff
- 1/4 cup butter, for cooking
- 1 ounce Russian Beluga Caviar
- 1 ounce Russian Osetra Caviar
- 1 ounce Russian Sevruga Caviar
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
In a medium mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the milk. Stir in the butter. Cover and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Stir in the egg yolks. Sift together the flours and salt. Slowly stir into the yeast mixture. Mix well. Fold in the egg whites and mix thoroughly.
Preheat a griddle, over medium heat, melt the some of the butter. Drop the batter, a tablespoon at a time onto the griddle, a couple of inches apart. Cook until the cakes are lightly golden on both sides, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Repeat until all of the butter and the batter are used up. Drain the cakes on paper towels. Sprinkle with the salt and serve warm with caviar and creme fraiche.
Garnish with chopped chives. These can also be prepared in advance and passed around on trays.