Blue Cheese Gougeres
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 pound blue cheese, or other creamy blue cheese
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large saucepan, combine the milk, butter, salt, black pepper, and Essence over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat. Add the flour, and stir constantly with a large wooden spoon to incorporate, about 1 minute. Return to medium-high heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the cheese and beat until mixed well and a slightly soft dough forms.
Drop the dough by the spoonful onto the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F, and bake until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Remove from the oven and serve immediately, or at room temperature.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William and Morrow, 1993.