BRAISED SHORT RIBS
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 pounds short ribs, cut into individual ribs
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 1/4 cup chopped scallion (green part only), for sprinkling
Heat oil in a dutch oven or large, heavy covered pot over high heat. Season ribs with Creole seasoning, patting it in well with your hands. When pot is nearly smoking add ribs without crowding them and sear on all sides until they form a brown crust. Do this in batches, if necessary. When all ribs have browned, add onions, celery and carrot; saute 1 minute to brown lightly. Stir in tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, pepper and enough broth to just cover ribs. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to gently simmering, cover and simmer until very tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
To serve, mound ribs in center of 4 plates, spoon sauce over and garnish with chopped scallion.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.