- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon mirin
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 (6-ounce) flounder fillets, with skin
- 1 pound asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- Sprigs fresh cilantro, for garnish
Preheat the broiler and cover the broiler pan with aluminum foil.
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook until just tender, 1 1/2 to 3 minutes, depending upon their thickness. Drain and shock in an ice water bath. Drain and pat dry. In the saucepan, heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add the asparagus and soy sauce and cook until warmed through, about 1 minute. Adjust the seasoning, to taste. Remove from the heat, toss with the sesame seeds, and keep warm.
Remove the fish from the marinade and place on the prepared broiler pan. Broil 5 to 6 inches from the heat source until just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Serve with the asparagus, and garnish with cilantro.