- 20 (1/2-inch) slices French or Italian bread
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and small diced
- 2 tablespoons basil chiffonade, plus more for garnishing
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- Grated Parmesan, optional
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Place the slices of French bread on a baking sheet and lightly brush with half of the olive oil. Season with half of the salt and half of the pepper. Bake until lightly golden and crispy, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
While the toasts are baking combine the remaining ingredients in a non-reactive bowl and stir to blend.
Serve each toast with a heaping tablespoon of the tomato mixture and garnish with additional basil and grated Parmesan, if desired.