- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted twice
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Melted bittersweet chocolate, garnish
- Mango salsa, recipe follows
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a small bowl, beat the eggs, butter, vanilla and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Add the milk and stir to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to make a dough, adding more milk 1/4 teaspoon at a time if the mixture is too dry.
Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Shape into 20 equal balls. Cover with a kitchen cloth and let stand for 30 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and the cinnamon to make the cinnamon-sugar.
In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 to 2 inches of oil to 360 degrees F.
Roll each ball out on a lightly-floured board into very thin circles, about 6-inches in diameter. Fry the dough until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar.
To serve, drizzle with the chocolate and sprinkle with chopped nuts. Serve hot.
- 1 1/2 cups small dice mango
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
Mix all of the ingredients together. Let sit for 15 minutes for flavors to develop.