Buttermilk-Marinated Fried Chicken Salad with Buttermilk Parmesan Dressing
- 2 ears corn, shucked
- 3 artichoke hearts, halved
- 1/2 red onion, cut into 1/4-inch thick rings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Essence, plus more for dusting, recipe follows
- 1 1/4 cups Homemade Buttermilk, recipe follows
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups mixed green and red leaf lettuces, washed and patted dry, torn into pieces
- 1 cup mixed baby yellow and red grape tomatoes, or halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup arugula leaves, washed and patted dry
- 1 red pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Buttermilk Parmesan Dressing, recipe follows
- Spiced Walnuts, recipe follows
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Buttermilk Parmesan Dressing:
- 1 large egg*
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions ( scallions), green tops only
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Spiced Walnuts:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon Essence
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
Preheat a grill.
Lightly brush corn, artichoke hearts, and red onions with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on grill and grill until tender. Remove corn from grill and remove kernels from the cob. Remove artichokes from grill and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices. Set all aside.
In a large bowl, toss the chicken with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the Essence. Add the buttermilk and let marinate at room temperature for 1 hour, or refrigerate and marinate for 3 hours.
Preheat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet or large saute pan to 350 degrees F.
Combine the flour with the remaining 1 tablespoon of Essence in a paper bag. Remove the chicken pieces from the buttermilk and add to the bag in batches, tossing to coat with the seasoned flour. Shake to remove any excess breading and place on a plate until ready to fry.
Add to the hot oil in batches and cook, turning, until golden brown and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season lightly with Essence.
Combine the lettuces, tomatoes, arugula, red peppers, corn, and artichokes in a large bowl and toss with 1/2 cup of the dressing, or more to taste. Divide between 4 large plates and top with the fried chicken and spiced nuts. Arrange the grilled onion rings over the top, drizzle with the remaining dressing, and serve.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.Buttermilk Parmesan Dressing:
With the motor running, add the oil through the feed tube in a slow, steady stream and process until it forms an emulsion.
*RAW EGG WARNING
Food Network Kitchens suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs due to the slight risk of Salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly-refrigerated, clean, grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.Spiced Walnuts:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Spread onto a baking sheet in 1 layer. Place in oven and roast for 10 minutes, shaking pan occasionally. Remove from the oven and cool.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.