Cajun Turkey Sausage with Eggs and Asparagus Sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (both light and dark meat)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle in adobo
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped sage leaves
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Asparagus Sauce:
- 1 bunch thin asparagus
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil
- 6 eggs
Combine the turkey, garlic, onion, chipotle, cumin, oregano, thyme, sage, and pecans and mix just until well combined. Don't overmix. Season with salt and pepper. Cook a small amount of the mixture in a hot pan to test for seasoning. Form the mixture into 6 equal size patties. Set aside.
Clean the asparagus and cut off the bottom inch or so and discard. Cut off the tips and set aside. Cut the stems into 1/2-inch pieces. Bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add the tips and blanch for 1 minute, just until tender. Remove from the chicken stock with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the stems to the chicken stock and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until very tender. Carefully pour the mixture into the blender. Add the garlic, oregano, lemon juice and zest. Carefully blend the mixture until smooth. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Set aside and keep warm.
Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Add the turkey patties and saute just until cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes per side, depending on thickness of patties.
Heat a large nonstick saute pan over medium heat. Add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When the oil is hot, carefully crack the eggs into the pan. Cook to desired doneness.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.