- 1/4 pound salt pork, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 pound cubed boneless lean pork
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 Scotch bonnet pepper, seeded
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 1/2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 pounds fresh callaloo, kale or spinach, stems removed, washed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh okra, sliced
- 1/2 pound fresh lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cooked white rice, for serving, optional
- Caribbean hot sauce, for serving, optional
In a large Dutch oven or soup pot cook the salt pork, stirring, until it has rendered most of its fat. Remove all but 2 tablespoons and add the pork cubes and onions and saute until the pork is browned and the onions are soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the Scotch Bonnet pepper, thyme, chicken broth, and callaloo and cook, stirring to submerge the greens as they soften. Once the greens have softened and fallen into the soup liquid, add the okra and continue to cook the soup at a low simmer until the greens are very tender and the okra is beginning to fall apart, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in the crabmeat and scallions and cook for 5 minutes longer, then serve the soup in bowls over hot white rice if desired. Pass the hot sauce at the table so that guests can adjust the seasoning to their taste.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.