Candy Bar Brownie Sundae
- 1 tablespoon plus 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 (2-ounce) chocolate covered nougat candy bars, roughly chopped (recommended: Snickers)
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1 recipe Caramel Sauce, recipe follows
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Maraschino cherries, for garnish
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 by 9-inch baking pan with 1 tablespoon of the butter and 1 tablespoon of the flour.
Heat the remaining 3/4 cup butter and the unsweetened chocolate in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup flour and the sugar. Add melted chocolate mixture to the flour mixture, stirring to combine. Add the eggs, whisking until smooth. Stir in vanilla, chocolate morsels, walnuts, and chopped candy bars.
Spread mixture into the prepared baking pan and bake just until the center is set, 30 to 35 minutes; for dark colored pans, bake 23 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Cut into 15 squares. Place 1 or 2 squares in a shallow bowl or sundae dish. Top with 1 scoop of ice cream and drizzle with Caramel Sauce. Garnish with whipped cream and maraschino cherries.Caramel Sauce:
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup whole milk
Combine the sugar, water, and lemon juice in a medium heavy saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Let boil without stirring until the mixture becomes a deep amber color, 2 to 3 minutes, watching closely so it doesn't burn. Add the cream (be careful; it will bubble up), whisk to combine, and remove from the heat.
Add 2 tablespoons of the milk, then add up to 2 more tablespoons, until the desired consistency is reached. Let cool until just warm before serving. (The sauce will thicken as it cools.)
Yield: a generous 3/4 cup
Thank you! your flag was submitted.