Cantaloupe, Honeydew, and Sweet Onion Gazpacho with Crispy Prosciutto
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced proscuitto
- 1 cup roughly chopped cantaloupe, plus 3/4 cup finely diced cantaloupe
- 1 cup roughly chopped honeydew melon, plus 3/4 cup finely diced honeydew melon
- 1 cup roughly chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia, Maui, or Walla Walla, plus 1 cup finely diced sweet onion
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped celery, plus 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped red bell pepper, plus 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup roughly chopped, seeded, peeled cucumber, plus 3/4 cup finely diced, seeded, peeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 slices white bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapenos
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake the prosciutto until crisp, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
Combine the roughly chopped ingredients (cantaloupe, honeydew, sweet onion, celery, red bell pepper, and cucumber), lemon juice, lime juice, and bread in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Puree on high until smooth.
Combine the finely chopped ingredients, jalapenos, garlic, chives, parsley, mint, cilantro, and olive oil in a large bowl. Stir well to combine. Fold the pureed ingredients into the chopped ingredients. Add the salt and pepper and stir well to combine. Let rest at least 1 hour, covered and refrigerated, for the flavors to blend.
Serve chilled, garnished with crumbled crispy prosciutto.