- 3 cups balsamic vinegar
- 6 ripe cooking pears, such as Bosc
- 1 fresh lemon, cut in half
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 24 slices of Proscuitto d Parma (about 1/2 pound)
- 4 cups arugula, cleaned
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces Gorgonzola cheese
Peel each pear, discarding the skin. Slice each pear into quarters and remove the core. Then slice each quarter in 2 (you should have 48 pieces). **While you are cutting the pears, place in a mixing bowl and toss with the a squeeze of the fresh lemon juice. Season the pears with salt and black pepper. Add the sugar and toss well, coating each piece completely. In a large stainless steel pan, over medium-high heat, melt the butter. When the butter is hot, add the pears, sliced side down, cook until the pears start to caramelize, about 2 to 3 minutes, flip over and caramelize the other side. Remove the pears from the stove. Toss the arugula with olive oil salt and pepper. To serve, place a small mound of arugula in the center of each plate. Place 2 pear slices on each slice of prosciutto and roll prosciutto around the pears. Place 3 prosciutto and pear bundles on each mound of arugula. Crumble the cheese over the pears. Drizzle each plate with some of the balsamic syrup.
- In a medium-saucepan, over medium heat, add the balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer until the liquid reduces by 3/4, about 30 minutes or until syrup-like consistency. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Yield: about 1/4 cup