Caramelized Ruby Red Grapefruit Salad
- 1 medium bulb of fresh fennel
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ruby red grapefruit, peeled and cut into segments
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups (packed) baby arugula, washed and patted dry
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 recipe of Vodka and Citrus Cured Salmon
- 1 recipe of Blood Orange Gastrique, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- VODKA AND CITRUS CURED SALMON
- 2 lemons
- � cup kosher salt
- � cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons grated lime zest
- � cup Absolut Citron Vodka
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (2 pound) piece of fresh salmon fillet, skin on, pin bones removed and rinsed under cold water
- BLOOD ORANGE GASTRIQUE
- 1 cup sugar
- � cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 medium sized, fresh blood oranges
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the fennel in half and remove the core. In a small mixing bowl, toss the fennel with the oil, salt and pepper. Place in a small roasting pan and roast until golden brown, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove and cool. Using a sharp knife, thinly slice the fennel. Pat the grapefruit dry with paper towels. In a shallow dish, toss the grapefruit with the sugar. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the grapefruit and cook until the grapefruit is caramelized, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside. In a mixing bowl, toss the arugula and fennel with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the caramelized grapefruit and toss well. Fan out the cured salmon in the center of each plate. Mound some of the salad in the center of each plate of salmon. Drizzle the gastrique over the entire plate. Garnish with parsley.VODKA AND CITRUS CURED SALMON
In a mixing bowl, combine the salt, dill, zest s, vodka and sugar together. Place the salmon, skin side down, on several large sheets of plastic wrap. Cover the entire salmon with the curing mixture, packing the cure into the salmon. Wrap the salmon completely and tightly in the plastic wrap and place the salmon, skin side down on a half sheet pan. Place something heavy, like a skillet, weights or a brick (which needs to be wrapped in plastic wrap) on top of the wrapped salmon. This will help infuse the salmon into the mixture. Refrigerate the salmon for 24 hours.
Remove the salmon from the refrigerator and wipe off the salt mixture. Rinse the salmon under cold water, removing all of the cure. Using a sharp knife, slice the salmon diagonally, paper thin and set aside.
Recipe Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 1999BLOOD ORANGE GASTRIQUE
Ina small, non-reactive saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar and orange juice and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by � , or the mixture has thickened like a syrup. Remove from the heat and pour the mixture into a glass bowl. Let cool completely.
Yields: About 1 cup
Recipe Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 1999
Thank you! your flag was submitted.