- 2 cups heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 7 ounces of assorted caviar, such as, Osetra and salmon etc.
- 1/2 cup brunoise red onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped egg whites
- 1/2 cup finely chopped egg yolk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped freshly parsley leaves
In a saucepan, combine 1 3/4 cup cream. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the cream to a simmer. Whisk in the eggs and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Whisk the cornstarch and remaining cream together. Whisk into the hot cream and continue to cook for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool completely. Refrigerate until chilled. To assemble, place some of the caviar in the bottom of four fluted glasses. Place a tablespoon of the onions, egg whites, egg yolk and parsley over the caviar. Spoon tablespoons of the cream over the parsley. Repeat the layering of the caviar and traditional garnishes. Spoon the remaining custard into the glasses. Garnish with the remaining caviar. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 1998