- 1 1/4 pounds beef tenderloin, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons Essence, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 large baking potatoes, like russets
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large turnips, peeled and halved
- 1 cup beef stock
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Season tenderloin with Essence. Heat a large saute pan over high heat, add the oil and sear meat well on all sides. Transfer meat to a roasting rack set in a roasting pan and roast 15 minutes for medium-rare. Meanwhile "turn" vegetables, cutting them into even-sized pieces shaped like footballs. Cook vegetables separately in small pots of salted water just until tender, drain and cool.
Transfer meat to a carving board, tent with foil to keep warm and let rest at least 10 minutes. Remove rack from roasting pan, place pan over medium high heat and pour in stock to deglaze. Bring to a boil, scraping bottom of pan to incorporate any browned bits into sauce. Simmer and adjust seasonings, to taste. Add vegetables to stock to reheat. Slice meat in thin slices. To serve, present meat in "shingles", surround with vegetables and ladle sauce over.
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup