Cheesy Herbed Popovers
- 1/3 cup plus 4 tablespoons reserved beef fat, butter, or vegetable oil (or a combination)
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces goat cheese, cut or crumbled into 18 to 20 equal pieces
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Combine the eggs, flour, salt, thyme, rosemary, and pepper in a blender and blend until well combined. Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the blender. While the blender is running, add the milk and cream in a slow stream until smooth and thoroughly combined.
Remove tins from the oven and fill each prepared well halfway with some of the batter. Place a piece of the cheese in the center of each cup and pour the remaining batter over so that the cups are filled 2/3 of the way. Bake the popovers until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve immediately.