Chef Emeril's Asian-Inspired Mussels
- 3 cups shrimp stock
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped lemon grass
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- 1 pound fresh mussels, scrubbed well and beards removed
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
For the broth, bring all ingredients to a simmer. Reduce to 1 cup and strain. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, heat the sesame oil and olive oil over high heat until smoking. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, ginger and scallions and stir for 5 seconds. Add the mussels and stir to coat. Cover the saucepan and allow to cook for 2 minutes. Add the lemon grass broth, and cook, still covered, for 2 more minutes, or until heated through and mussels are beginning to open. Add the coconut milk and cilantro and stir to combine well. Divide the mussels among 2 large bowls and ladle the broth over all. Serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.