Chicken and Andouille Pastry Cups with Sweet Barbecue Sauce
- 2 (2.1-ounce) packages mini phyllo shells (30 1 1/2-inch shells), thawed
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 (6-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 4 ounces andouille, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups Sweet Barbecue Sauce, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- Minced chives, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the shells on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown and crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the shells from the oven.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with the Essence and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the sausage and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add the onions, salt, and cayenne and cook until the onions are very soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the water, 1/2 cup of the barbecue sauce, the parsley, and cheese. Simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add the bread crumbs. Mix well. Let cool. Fill the shells with meat mixture. Top with the feta cheese. Garnish with chives and extra BBQ sauce.Sweet Barbecue Sauce:
1 (14-ounce) bottle ketchup
1/4 cup chopped yellow onions
6 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons Creole or other whole-grain mustard
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 1/2 teaspoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula and pulse 2 or 3 times.
Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Yield: 2 cups