Chicken and Exotic Mushrooms in Pastry with a Mushroom-Sherry Sauce Supreme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 6 cups sliced, assorted wild and exotic mushrooms, such as chanterelles, oysters, shiitakes, and lobster mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (17.3-ounce) packages puff pastry, thawed
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1 egg, beaten with 2 teaspoons water
- Mushroom-Sherry Sauce Supreme, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Mushroom-Sherry Sauce Supreme:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 cup sliced assorted wild and exotic mushrooms, such as chanterelles, oysters, shiitakes, and lobster mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 2 to 3 minute or until wilted. Add the mushrooms and garlic. Season the mushrooms with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until softened. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
On a lightly floured surface, unfold 1 sheet of puff pastry. Lightly smooth the pastry out with a rolling pin and cut a circle 8 inches in diameter. Repeat with remaining 3 sheets of puff pastry.
Season both sides of the chicken breasts with the Essence, and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place each chicken breast on one half of each pastry round. Spoon 1/2 cup of the mushroom mixture on top of each chicken breast. Brush the edges of the pastry lightly with the egg wash and fold the other half of the pastry round over the chicken, forming a half-moon shape. Fold the edges of the pastry to make a 1/2-inch border and pinch the ends tightly to seal completely. Cut 3 small slits in the top of each pastry.
Place the pastries on the prepared baking sheet and brush each with the remaining egg wash. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the chicken is cooked through. Spoon the Mushroom-Sherry Sauce Supreme in the center of 4 plates. Place a pastry on top of the sauce on each plate and garnish with parsley.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, Published by William and Morrow, 1993.Mushroom-Sherry Sauce Supreme:
Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and mushrooms and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until wilted. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Add the stock, 1/2 cup at a time, whisking until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. Whisk in the cream and the sherry and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the remaining tablespoon of butter.
Yield: about 2 cups