Chicken Braised in Pumpkin Seed Mole Verde
- 1 cup shelled pumpkin seeds (Note: very important that these are shelled!)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems and leaves
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves
- 5 tomatillos, husked, washed coarsely chopped
- Radish tops
- 1 chicken cut into 8 pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- Black pepper
- Pinch cinnamon, optional
- Cooked rice, as an accompaniment
- Sliced radishes, for garnish
In a large skillet over low heat, toast pumpkin seeds, cumin seeds, and oregano until fragrant and pumpkin seeds begin to pop, 6 to 7 minutes. Reserve 2 tablespoons toasted seeds, and transfer the remaining seeds to a blender or spice grinder and process until finely ground. Set aside.
Add the pureed vegetables to the hot skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in chicken stock and ground seeds, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper, and add the cinnamon, if desired. Add the chicken pieces to the pan and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook, partially covered, until the chicken is cooked through and tender, about 40 minutes.
Serve over white rice with sliced radishes and reserved toasted pumpkin seeds.