- 1 large fryer, 3 1/2 to 5 pounds
- Essence, recipe follows
- 4 cups flour
- 2 eggs, beaten with 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 1/4 cup thick tomato sauce
- 8 thin slices of baked ham
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
Using a sharp knife, cut the chicken into 8 pieces, discarding the back-bone and removing the breast bone. Season the chicken with Essence.
Season 3 cups of the flour and egg wash with Essence. Dredge the chicken first in the flour. Dip each piece in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off. Dredge the chicken for a second time in the seasoned flour, coating completely.
In a large skillet, over medium heat, add the oil. Toss the onions in the hot sauce. Season the remaining flour with Essence. Dredge the onions in the remaining flour. Fry the onions until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with Essence.
When the oil is hot, pan-fry the chicken until crispy and golden, about 6 minutes on each side. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with Essence. Spread 1 tablespoon of the tomato mixture over each piece of ham. Roll the ham up tightly. To serve, place the chicken around a platter. Mound the onions in the center of the chicken. Lay the rolled ham around the onions. Garnish with parsley.
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking, by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.