- 4 (8-ounce) pieces beef top round, about 1/2-inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Essence, recipe follows
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 pint oysters, drained
- Cream Gravy, recipe follows
Using a meat mallet, vigorously pound each steak until well tenderized and about 1/8-inch thick.
In a large bowl combine the flour with 3 tablespoons Essence. In another large bowl combine the buttermilk with the remaining 1 tablespoon Essence.
Coat the steak with the flour. Shake off the excess flour, dip the steaks in the buttermilk and then coat again with the flour. Place the coated steaks on a rack over a sheet tray until ready to fry.
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
Heat 1/2-inch of oil in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Fry the steaks in the hot oil until golden brown and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
When the steak is done, transfer to a paper-lined tray or plate to drain, and keep warm in the oven while you fry the oysters and make the gravy.
Coat the oysters with the flour. Shake off the excess flour, dip the oysters in the buttermilk and then coat again with flour. Fry the oysters in the hot oil until golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the oysters to another paper-lined tray and place in the oven. Reserve pan with fond to make the gravy.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 2 1/2 cups milk
Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William and Morrow, 1993.