These great little treats can be made a day ahead of time to allow enough time for pre-game festivities.
- 8 ounces chopped andouille sausage, casings removed, (1 cup)
- 5 ounces soft goat cheese
- 2 each roasted poblanos, small diced
- 1/4 cup shaved green onions
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fine ground black pepper
- 4 skinned and bone chicken breast halves, pounded very thin
- 1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Combine the andouille, goat cheese, poblanos, green onions, shallots, garlic, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix until thoroughly blended. Makes 1 1/2 cups of stuffing.
Spread the chicken breast on a flat surface and sprinkle each, top side only, with Essence. Place a heaping 1/3 cup of the stuffing on half of each chicken breast and fold the other half over the stuffing and pinch the edges together. Brush the tops with the oil and sprinkle with the remaining Essence.
Place the pockets on the baking sheet and bake until the chicken is golden brown, for about 18 minutes.
Place the aioli in a small bowl in the center of a platter and arrange the pockets, which should be cut on the bias around the aioli.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Creole Mustard Aioli:
- 1/2 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup shaved green onions
- Salt and pepper
Combine the mayonnaise, Creole mustard, garlic, and green onions together. Season with salt and pepper.