- 4 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond or nut-flavored liqueur (recommended: Amaretto di Saronna)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup crushed amaretti cookies
- Bittersweet chocolate shavings, garnish
In the top of a double boiler or in a metal bowl, combine the yolks, sugar, and liqueur until smooth. Set over a pot of barely simmering water and whisk by hand or beat with an electric mixer until pale yellow and foamy and a ribbon forms when the beaters are lifted, 5 to 7 minutes.
Remove from the heat and beat in the cocoa until smooth.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2004