- 1 recipe Chocolate Pie Crust, recipe follows
- 12 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Pinch salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups pecan halves
- Semisweet Chocolate and Jack Ice Cream, recipe follows, or good quality store bought ice cream
- Jack Chocolate Ganache, recipe follows
On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out 1/8-inch thick and gently fit the dough into a 10-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom, easing the pastry gently into the bottom and sides. Trim the edges of the dough so that they overhang slightly over the edge of the tart pan, then fold this excess dough over the sides so that the outer edges are almost twice as thick as the bottom of the crust. Press so that the edges are flush with the top of the pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and position a rack in the center of the oven.
Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
To prepare the tart filling, combine the brown sugar, butter and salt in a large bowl and, using an electric mixer, cream together. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dark corn syrup, and vanilla extract, and whisk well to blend.
Place the pecan halves evenly over the bottom of the prepared tart shell and pour the filling over the pecans. Bake until the tart is set, about 50 minutes.
Cool completely on a wire rack.
Chocolate Pie Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons cold water
Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, and salt into a large bowl. With your fingers, incorporate the butter pieces into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in the egg yolk and water to make a soft dough. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator to rest for at least 1 hour before using.
Yield: 1 (9 or 10-inch) tart crust
Semisweet Chocolate and Jack Ice Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, cut and scraped
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, about 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup whiskey (recommended: Jack Daniel's) or your favorite whiskey
Combine the heavy cream, milk and vanilla bean and scraped seeds in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and bring just to a simmer. While the cream and milk are heating, whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl until pale yellow and thick. When the cream mixture reaches a simmer, ladle about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture to the egg yolk mixture and whisk to combine. Add another 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture to the egg yolk mixture and whisk again to combine. Slowly whisk the egg yolk mixture into the hot cream mixture in the saucepan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook the custard, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. Remove from the heat and immediately strain through a fine mesh sieve into a medium bowl containing the chocolate chips. Allow to sit undisturbed for 1 minute before whisking to incorporate. Add the whisky to the custard, stir to blend, then set aside to cool completely. Transfer to a refrigerator and chill thoroughly. Once the custard is chilled, follow the manufacturer's instructions for churning in an electric ice cream maker. Once set, transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container and freeze until firm before serving, 4 to 8 hours.
Yield: 3 to 4 cups
Jack Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon whiskey (recommended: Jack Daniel's) or your favorite whiskey
Bring cream just to a boil in a small saucepan. Add chocolate and whisk to combine. Stir in whiskey and keep warm.