Chorizo and Mussels in Tomato-Wine Broth
- 8 ounces chorizo, removed from casings and chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup roughly chopped fennel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cups white wine
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley leaves
- 3 pounds fresh mussels, well scrubbed and debearded
- French Bread, as an accompaniment
In a large saute pan, cook the chorizo until brown over medium-high heat, about 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan.
Add the butter and when melted, add the onions, fennel, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine, cream, and parsley, and bring to a boil. Add the mussels, cover, and cook until the shells have opened, about 4 minutes.