- 8 ounces finely chopped chorizo sausage
- 1/2 to 1 cup bread crumbs
- 16 large sea scallops
- Essence, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg, slightly beaten with 3 tablespoons milk
- Olive oil for pan-frying
In a hot saute pan, render the chorizo for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. In a food processor, pulse the chorizo with the bread crumbs until the mixture binds together. Season with Essence. Season the scallops with Essence. Dredge the scallops in the flour. Dip the scallops in the egg wash, removing any excess. Dredge the scallops in the chorizo crust. In a saute pan, heat the olive oil. When the oil is hot, pan-fry the scallops for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until they are golden. Drain on a paper-lined plate. Season with Essence.
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.