Citrus Crusted Pompano with Grapefruit Butter Sauce
- 1 teaspoon very finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon very finely grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon very finely grated orange zest
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 4 (6 to 8-ounce) pompano fillets, skin-on
- 2 tablespoons Essence, recipe follows
- Grapefruit Butter Sauce, recipe below
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Grapefruit Butter Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated grapefruit zest
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup seedless grapefruit segments
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the zest and blanch for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and dry on paper towels. In a bowl, combine the zests, bread crumbs, butter, shallots, salt, pepper, and sugar, and mix well.
Season the flesh side of the pompano fillets with the Essence. Place the fillets on a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven. Divide the crumb mixture evenly among the fillets and pack lightly to make a crust. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and transfer to 4 large plates. Top with the sauce and serve immediately.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.Grapefruit Butter Sauce:
In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup of the grapefruit juice, the sugar and zest, and cook over medium heat until reduced to a thick syrup.
In a clean saucepan, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of grapefruit juice, the vinegar, and shallots. Simmer until reduced to 3 tablespoons. Add the heavy cream and cook for 30 seconds. Gradually whisk in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, adding each piece before the previous one has been completely incorporated. Continue until all the butter is incorporated and the sauce coats the back of a spoon, removing the pan from the heat periodically to prevent the sauce from getting too hot and breaking.
Yield: 1 cup
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2002
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay