Classic Hot and Sour Soup
- 2 ounces dried shiitake mushrooms
- 10 cups chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 pound very thinly sliced and julienned pork loin or tenderloin
- 6 to 8 ounces tofu, cubed or crumbled
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons mushroom flavored soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Hot chile oil, for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
Combine shiitake mushrooms and 3 cups of the chicken stock in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and let stand until mushrooms are tender and broth is flavorful, about 30 minutes. Remove mushrooms and discard stems. Thinly slice caps and reserve. Strain broth through a fine mesh sieve, combine with the remaining chicken stock and set aside.
In a medium saucepan heat the vegetable oil and, when hot, add the ginger, garlic and crushed red pepper; cook for 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Add the chicken stock and reserved shiitakes and bring to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes. Add the pork and tofu and stir to combine. In a small bowl or cup, combine the lime juice and cornstarch and stir until smooth. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the hot soup and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add the soy sauce and sesame oil and serve the soup, drizzled with hot chile oil, to taste, and garnished with some of the sliced scallions.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.