Classic Veal Parmesan
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup dry red or white wine
- 2 (28 ounce) can of peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade of fresh basil
- 4 double-cut loin veal chops, bone-in, butterflied and pound out 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup flour
- Essence, recipe follows
- 2 eggs, beaten with 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups fine dried bread crumbs
- 1 pound fresh fettuccine
- Mornay sauce, recipe follows
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the onions, carrots and celery. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 4 to5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and clear in color. Add the garlic and red wine. Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce by half, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 30 minutes.
Whisk the tomato paste and water together. Add to the tomatoes. Stir in the dried herbs. Bring the liquid to a boil, over high heat. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
Reseason with salt and pepper. Stir in the basil. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
Season the veal chops with salt and pepper. Season the flour with Essence. Season the egg wash with Essence. Season the bread crumbs with Essence. Dredge the veal chops in the flour. Dip each chop in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off. Finally, dredge the chops in the seasoned bread crumbs, coating completely. Add 1/4 cup of the oil to two large skillets. When the oil is hot, add two chops to each skillet. Pan-fry the chops for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with Essence.
Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Place the chops on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 4 minutes, or until hot. Remove the pasta from the heat and drain. Drizzle the pasta with olive oil. Season the pasta with salt and pepper. Toss the pasta with the Mornay Sauce.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse
Wiener Schnitzel Mit Reis, Gurnen Erserln, Und Mayonnaise: Veal Cutlet with Rice, Green Peas and Mayonnaise Salad
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse