Coconut MacNut Shrimp with Guava Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 12 shrimp (16/20 count)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup toasted macadamia nuts, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Guava Sweet and Sour Sauce, recipe follows
- Guava Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup frozen guava concentrate
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup cornstarch mixed with 3 tablespoons water, for thickening
Shell and devein the shrimp and pat dry with paper towels. Put the flour in a shallow bowl. Beat the eggs in another shallow bowl. Mix the coconut flakes, macadamia nuts and bread crumbs together in a third bowl.
Dust the shrimp with flour, shaking off excess, then dip them in beaten egg. Roll them in the coconut mixture. Let stand on a rack until all are breaded. Meanwhile, heat 2 1/2 to 3 inches of oil in a wok or a deep, heavy pot over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 365 degrees F.
Fry the shrimp, 4 or 5 at a time, for about 3 minutes or until golden brown; drain on paper towels. Allow the oil to return to 365 degrees F before adding a new batch. Serve with guava sweet and sour sauce.Guava Sweet and Sour Sauce:
In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients, except cornstarch mixture. Blend well, bring to a boil, then add cornstarch mixture. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently until thickened.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Coconut Shrimp with Spiced Sweet Potato Mash and Almond Joy Butter, Coconut Shrimp with Red Curry Sauce, Coconut Shrimp with Curried Tomato, Lime and Roasted Garlic Coulis, Apple, Cheese Ball Recipes, Spicy Shrimp Recipes, Thanksgiving Appetizers, Cherry, Shrimp Creole Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.