- 2 sticks unsalted butter plus 1 tablespoon, softened
- 2 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon cake flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon groundcinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground anise
- 2 1/4 cups Ruby Port
- 2 seedless navel oranges, peeled and segmented, garnish
- Fresh orange blossoms, garnish
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large bowl, cream the remaining 2 sticks of butter and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides as needed, about 3 minutes. Add the egg yolks 1 at a time, beating well after the addition of each. Mix in the orange zest.
In a large clean bowl, beat the egg whites with clean beaters on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a decorative platter or cake plate and let cool.
In a medium saucepan, bring the Port to a boil and cook until reduced by 1/2. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly, then drizzle over the top of the cake. Garnish the cake with the orange segments and garnish the cake platter with the orange blossoms before serving.