Cold Chicken Roulades with Fruit Chutney
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (6 to 8-ounce) chicken breast, boneless and skinned
- 4 cups water
- 12 rounds toasted croutons (2 inches by 1/8-inch thick)
- 1/2 cup assorted fruit chutney
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
In a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, combine the chicken, shallots, garlic, cream, cognac, and parsley. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. To check the seasoning; bring a pot of water to a boil. Roll 1 teaspoon of the filling into a ball. Add to the boiling water and cook for about 2 minutes. Remove from the water and drain. Taste the chicken and reseason if necessary.
Place each piece of chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet, pound out the chicken thinly, to about 1/4 inch thick. Remove from the plastic wrap and season both sides with salt and pepper.
Divide the filling in half and spread evenly over the chicken. Roll the chicken up tightly. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, tying the ends with twine. Place the chicken in the boiling water and poach for 20 minutes. Remove from the water and cool completely. Place in the refrigerator until chilled.