Corned Beef and Cabbage Strudel with a Grain Mustard Sauce
- 1/4 pound bacon
- 1/2 cup julienne onions
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2/3 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon creole mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced corned beef
- 1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 3 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Essence, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons grated Swiss Cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons brunoise red peppers
- 2 tablespoons brunoise yellow peppers
- 1/2 cup grain mustard
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a hot saute pan, render the bacon until crispy. Pour off most of the fat. Add the onions, shallots, and garlic. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cabbage and continue sauteing until the cabbage has wilted, about 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in the creole mustard and season with salt and pepper.
Take the 3 phyllo sheets and lay flat, cover 2/3 of the sheets with the corned beef. Spread the cabbage mixture over the corned beef. Sprinkle the Swiss Cheese over the cabbage. Season with Essence. Starting with the side that has the most filling, roll the strudel up, tucking the sides in towards the end. Brush the entire strudel with the remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
For the sauce: In a small sauce pot, combine all the ingredients. Bring up to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Slice the strudel on the bias into 6 equal portions. Line the pieces in the center of the platter and drizzle the sauce over the top. Garnish with Essence, cheese, green onions, red and yellow pepper.Essence:
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cuP
Thank you! your flag was submitted.