- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 pound whole-wheat pasta
- Canola cooking spray
- 1 cup yellow onion, medium dice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tasso
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups rich chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup basil, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over for shells
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Set a large, 1-gallon stock pot with a pasta insert 3/4 full with water over high heat and bring to a boil. Add the kosher salt to the water as it boils. Place the spaghetti in the salted water and return to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cook the pasta until nearly al dente, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and set aside, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water.
Set a 14-inch saute pan over medium heat, spray for 2 seconds with the canola cooking spray. Add the onions and sweat them until soft and fragrant. Mix in tasso and garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the white wine, chicken stock and nutmeg to the pan and reduce liquid by 1/2.
Place the egg whites and milk in a large bowl, beat until frothy and set aside. Place the cooked pasta, the pasta cooking water, and the salt and pepper in the pan and cook, tossing, until the pasta is well coated and the liquid is clinging to the pasta, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour the egg white mixture over the pasta and toss quickly to cook the egg whites. Season the crab with salt and pepper and add to pasta. Sprinkle the Parmesan and basil over the pasta and toss to combine. Serve immediately.