- 1 pound fresh or frozen conch meat (defrosted if frozen)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 large tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 finely chopped seeded green chiles, such as jalapeno or serrano
- 1/2 finely chopped seeded Scotch bonnet chili
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves
- Thinly sliced Iceburg lettuce, for serving
- 1 avocado, peeled, seed removed, and thinly sliced lengthwise
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Lime wedges, for garnish
Place the conch meat on a clean work surface and tenderize by pounding with a meat mallet for 3 to 5 minutes. Dice the conch and place in a nonreactive bowl with 1/2 cup of the lime juice and the coconut milk and set aside to marinate for about 30 minutes.
Drain the conch and transfer to a clean nonreactive bowl. Add the remaining lime juice, orange juice, tomatoes, green chiles, Scotch bonnet, red onion and cilantro and stir to combine well. Season, to taste, with salt. Place a small amount of thinly sliced lettuce in the bottom of each of 4 martini glasses, then place 3 avocado slices in each glass, standing upright along 1 side if possible. Divide the conch salad among the glasses and drizzle with a little of the extra-virgin olive oil. Serve immediately, garnished with lime wedges.