- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 cups Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 5 to 6 cups shrimp or chicken stock, simmering in a saucepan
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 cups artichoke hearts, cooked, trimmed and quartered
- 1/2 pound cooked crawfish tails, with fat if possible
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch batons
- 1/2 cup olive oil
In a large saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add butter and then onions, bell pepper and garlic and cook until vegetables are wilted. Add rice and saute for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until grains begin to look opaque. Add wine and cook until evaporated, stirring constantly. Add 3/4 cup of the stock, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Continue to stir constantly, adding additional stock in half-cup increments as liquid is absorbed by rice. After rice has cooked for 10 minutes, add green onions and artichoke hearts and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add crawfish tails, heavy cream, half of the Parmesan cheese and parsley, and stir well to combine. Remove from heat, let sit for 5 minutes before serving, garnished with CRISPY EGGPLANT and remaining Parmesan cheese.
In a bowl, combine the flour with 1 tablespoon of the Creole seasoning. In another bowl, whisk egg together with the milk. In a third bowl, combine cornmeal with remaining tablespoon of Creole seasoning.
Dredge eggplant batons in the seasoned flour. Transfer to the eggwash, then to the seasoned cornmeal, shaking off any excess.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil until very hot. Add eggplant and fry, turning occasionally, until golden-brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove eggplant to absorbent towels, and sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately on top of CRAWFISH-ARTICHOKE RISOTTO, garnished with remaining grated Parmesan cheese.
Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup