Crawfish and Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Fried Okra and Buttermilk Dressing
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- Essence, recipe follows
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce, optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 pound crawfish tails
- 6 ounces mesclun lettuce or other salad greens, washed and spun dry
- Fried Okra, accompaniment, recipe follows
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Fried Okra:
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Essence, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper sauce, optional
- 1 pound fresh small okra, or large okra cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces, stem ends trimmed
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a bowl, toss the sweet potato cubes with the oil and 1 teaspoon of the garlic. Season lightly with Essence, salt and pepper, tossing to coat evenly. Arrange in a baking dish and roast, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool.
To make the dressing, in a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream, lime juice, and hot pepper sauce, if desired. Add the green onions, parsley, and remaining 2 teaspoons garlic. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss the crawfish with enough dressing to lightly coat, 1/2 to 3/4 cup. Adjust the seasoning, to taste.
Arrange the lettuce on 4 large salad plates. Place the crawfish salad in the center of the lettuce and arrange the roasted sweet potatoes around the crawfish. Garnish with the fried orka and drizzle to taste with the remaining buttermilk dressing. Serve immediately.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William and Morrow, 1993.Fried Okra:
In a heavy medium pot, preheat enough oil to come halfway up the sides to 360 degrees F.
In a shallow dish, combine the flour and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the Essence. In another shallow dish, combine the cornmeal and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons Essence. In a third bowl, beat together the eggs, water, and the pepper sauce, if desired, to make the egg wash.
In batches, lightly dredge the okra first in the flour, then dip into the egg wash to coat. Dredge in the cornmeal, shaking to remove the excess. Fry in the hot oil until golden brown on all sides, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season lightly with Essence.
Yield: 1 pound
Thank you! your flag was submitted.