- 2 dried chipotle peppers
- 1/2 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup shelled crawfish tails
- 2 tablespoons each chopped onion, red pepper and celery
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- Creole spice
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
Make tartar sauce: In a cast-iron skillet over high heat pan roast peppers, toasting them on all sides, until smoky and slightly charred. Chop finely. In a small bowl combine with remaining sauce ingredients. Adjust seasonings, to taste, with salt and pepper.
In a saute pan heat 1 teaspoon oil, add chopped onion, red pepper and celery, and toss and cook 2 minutes until tender. Remove pan from heat and add garlic, crawfish meat, and 1 teaspoon Creole spice or to taste. Transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside to cool. Mix in egg and enough bread crumbs for mixture to bind; adjust seasonings to taste with salt, pepper and Creole spice. Form into 4 equal patties and flatten to 3/4-inch thick. Heat remaining oil in a saute pan and cook cakes on both sides until brown and crispy. Serve garnished with parsley and a dollop of tartar sauce.