- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1/2 cups shrimp stock or water
- 1 pound crawfish tails
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
- Cooked long grain white rice, accompaniment
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, to make a light roux. Add the onions, celery, bell peppers, green onions, garlic, bay leaves, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the sherry and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the stock and crawfish tails and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice.
Stir in the parsley and remove from the heat.
Adjust the seasoning, to taste. Serve over rice, garnished with additional parsley.