Crawfish Purses with a Tasso Cream Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup small diced onions
- 1/4 cup small diced red peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 crawfish tails, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- Salt and pepper
- 8 prepared crepes
- 10 long chives
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 small diced tasso
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Essence, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 tablespoons brunoise red pepper
- 2 grilled whole green onions
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
For the purses: In a saute pan, heat the olive oil. When the pan is smoking hot, add the onions, peppers, shallots and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 1 minute and remove from the heat. In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients with the Sauteed mixture. Mix until incorporated. Adjust the seasoning. Divide the crawfish filling into 8 equal portions. Spoon each portion in the center of the crepe. Gather the crepe at the top, forming a purse-like shape. Tie each crepe with a long chive.
For the sauce: In a hot saute pan, render the tasso for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the shallots and garlic and continue sauteing for 1 minute. Add the heavy cream and season with salt, pepper, and Essence. Allow the sauce to reduce until slightly thick, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the green onions and Crystal hot sauce. Finish the sauce with the butter. Reseason.
For the purses: Place the purses in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from the oven. Spoon the sauce in the center of the platter. Arrange the purses over the sauce. Garnish with the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, red peppers and the grilled green onion.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse