Crawfish Rellenos with Red Bean Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dried kidney beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- For the Rellenos:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound crawfish tails, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1 cup flour
- 2 large egg whites, beaten until foamy
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 medium-large Poblano peppers with their stems, roasted and peeled, slit up one side and seeded
- Oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup cilantro sour cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon brunoise red peppers
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
DirectionsFor the Rellenos:
Preheat the fryer. In a sauce pan, heat the olive oil. When the oil is hot, saute the onions and jalapenos for 1 minute. Add the bay leaves, beans, and cilantro and continue sauteing for 1 minute. Add the stock and bring up to a boil.
Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 2 hours or until the beans are very tender. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and puree, using a hand-held blender.
For the rellenos: In a saute pan, heat the olive oil. When the oil is hot, saute the crawfish, green onions, and garlic for 2 minutes. Season with Essence. Add the cream and cheese. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the jalapeno and bread crumbs and remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper. Turn the mixture into a mixing bowl and allow to cool. In a mixing bowl, combine the masa with 1/2 cup of the flour. Season the mixture with Essence. Fold in the egg whites and add the milk 1/4 cup at a time, mixing thoroughly between additions until all the milk is incorporated and the mixture is smooth. In another bowl, combine the remaining flour and season with Essence. Fill each poblano with 1/4 cup of the crawfish stuffing. Dip the peppers in the batter, letting the excess drip off and dredge in the seasoned flour, coating each side completely. Fry the rellenos until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove from the fryer and drain on a paper-lined plate. Season the rellenos with Essence. Spoon the sauce in the center of the plate. Lay the rellenos in the center of the sauce. Garnish with the cilantro-sour cream, parsley, and red peppers.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.