Creamy Cheddar Cheese Soup
- 4 ounces apple smoked bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 12 ounces of beer, pale ale
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 8 ounces Maytag White Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup small diced toasted croutons
Brown the bacon in the soup pot. Remove excess grease. Add the butter, onions, and celery to the pot with the bacon and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat. Dust the flour over the vegetables and bacon, cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Stir in the beer, and then the stock.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve with chopped parsley and croutons.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse