- 4 ounces apple smoked bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 12 ounces of beer, pale ale
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 8 ounces Maytag White Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup small diced toasted croutons
Brown the bacon in the soup pot. Remove excess grease. Add the butter, onions, and celery to the pot with the bacon and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat. Dust the flour over the vegetables and bacon, cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Stir in the beer, and then the stock.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve with chopped parsley and croutons.