- 3/4 cup oil, for pan-frying
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Creole spice, recipe follows
- 12 freshly-shucked oysters
- 1 large round loaf bread topped with sesame seeds, 8-inches in diameter
- 1/4 cup prepared tartar sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
In a medium saute pan with deep sides begin heating oil. Season cornmeal with Creole spice. Dredge oysters in cornmeal mixture and add to hot oil, without crowding. Cook about 1 1/2 minutes, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain excess grease on paper towels. Slice bread in half horizontally across the middle. Open up loaf and spread a generous layer of tartar sauce on bottom half. Spread lettuce over and top with perfectly-cooked oysters. Replace bread top and eat immediately.