Creole Chicken, Red Beans and Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole chicken, (about 4 pounds) cut into 10 pieces
- Creole seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 pound dried red beans, rinsed, picked over, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 gallon chicken stock
- 1/4 pound long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (green part only)
In a large sauce pot, heat the olive oil. Season the chicken with Creole seasoning. When the oil is hot, add the chicken, sear for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Add the onions, celery, and carrots. Season with Creole seasoning. Saute the vegetables for 4 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaves, pinch of crushed red pepper and red beans and saute for 1 minute. Add the stock and bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, uncovered, for about 2 hours or until the beans are tender. Reseason if necessary. Add the rice and continue to cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Remove from the heat and stir in the green onions. Ladle into soup bowls and serve with crunchy French Bread.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.