Creole Style Tomato Soup with Goat Cheese Dumplings
- Total Time:
- 2 hr 20 min
- 40 min
- 1 hr 40 min
- 6 servings; about 7 cups of soup and 12 dumplings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 8 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken broth
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil, plus 4 to 6 tablespoons chiffonade, for garnish
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 1/4 cup water
- Essence, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions, celery, and carrots. Season the vegetables with salt, pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne. Saute the vegetables for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Preheat the fryer or a heavy saucepot filled no more than halfway with vegetable oil to 375 degrees F. Prepare the dumplings while the soup is simmering and fry just before serving the soup.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the goat cheese, extra-virgin olive oil, and chopped basil. Mix until the mixture is fully incorporated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon 1 rounded teaspoon of the cheese mixture in the center of each wonton wrapper. Brush the edges of the wrappers with a small amount water. Bring 2 corners of the wrappers together and press to seal, forming a triangle. Fry the wontons for about 2 minutes each or until the dumplings are golden and crispy. Remove from the fryer and drain on a paper-lined plate. Season the dumplings with Essence, to taste.
Ladle the soup in a shallow bowls. Garnish each bowl with 2 dumplings and a chiffonade of fresh basil.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.