Crostini with Balsamic Onions and Cheese
- 24 (1/4-inch-thick) diagonal slices cut from a long thin loaf Italian or French bread
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups thinly sliced red onions
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup soft cheese, such as blue or goat
- 2 tablespoons fresh snipped chives
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Brush bread with 1/4 cup of the olive oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake until golden, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and tender, about 8 minutes. Add vinegar and cook until it evaporates, about 30 seconds. Season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Cool to room temperature. Divide onions evenly among crostini and top each with about 1 teaspoon crumbled cheese. Garnish each crostini with 1/4 teaspoon of chives and serve immediately at room temperature.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.