Chef Neal likes to use picholine and nicoise olives when he makes this main course salad, but use whatever you like best. Tuna loins are preferable for this recipe, but use tuna steaks if you can't find the loins.
- 3/4 cup Creamy Parmesan Dressing, recipe follows
- 1 pound red potatoes, scrubbed and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 6 ounces haricots verts, or small, thin green beans, ends trimmed
- 1/2 cup olive oil plus 1 tablespoon
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound Roma plum tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup halved and seeded black brine-cured olives
- 1/2 cup halved and seeded green brine-cured olives
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1/2 hard boiled egg, peeled and coarsely sieved
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 heads hearts of romaine lettuce, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 1/2 pounds yellowfin tuna, trimmed of sinew, cut into 6 equal rectangular portions, about 1 by 1 by 4-inches each
Make the Creamy Parmesan Dressing and set aside.
Add the green beans to the other pot and blanch until tender, 4 minutes. Drain in a colander.
Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the drained potatoes, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper, and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until golden brown on both sides, 8 minutes. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil, garlic, and drained green beans. Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and olives and cook until the tomatoes are warmed through, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the mayonnaise, lemon juice, minced onion, hard-boiled egg, capers, parsley, and tarragon and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
Combine the lettuce with the Creamy Parmesan Dressing and toss to coat. Arrange 3 or 4 leaves along the side of 6 large plates. Spoon the vegetables along the other side of the plate. Let sit while cooking the tuna.
Season each tuna portion with 1/2 teaspoon of the remaining salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the remaining pepper.
Heat the remaining 1/4 cup of oil in 1 large skillet or 2 medium skillets, over medium-high heat. Add the tuna and sear, about 15 seconds per side. Remove from the pan and cut each crosswise into 4 equal pieces. Arrange the tuna slices down the middle of each plate, and serve.
Creamy Parmesan Dressing:
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce
Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the egg and cook for 30 seconds until coddled.
In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, garlic, and anchovies. Mash the anchovies with the back of a fork and mix into the other ingredients. Add the egg and whisk well to combine. Add the cheese, lemon juice, and mustard, and whisk well. Add the olive oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Add the Worcestershire and pepper sauces, and whisk well. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
* Professional Recipe
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.