Dinner Salad with Honey-Mustard Dressing
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, separated into leaves, rinsed and patted dry, torn into large pieces
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, separated into leaves, rinsed and patted dry, torn into large pieces
- 8 ounces fresh button mushrooms, wiped dry, stems trimmed, and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallot rings
- 1/2 pint yellow grape tomatoes, well rinsed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a large salad bowl, toss together the red leaf and Bibb lettuces. Add the sliced mushrooms, shallot rings, and tomatoes.
To make the dressing, in a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the honey, mustard and vinegar. Slowly add the oil in a steady stream, and whisk until all the oil is added and the mixture is emulsified. Add the salt and whisk together. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Toss the salad with the dressing, to taste, adding about 1 tablespoon at a time. Sprinkle with pepper, and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2001